Silsden fell to a 2-1 defeat against a quality Garforth Town side at The Office Interiors Stadium on Saturday, leaving their play-off hopes hanging by a thread.

A slow start from the Cobbydalers to this Northern Counties East League Premier Division clash allowed the visitors to take a two-goal lead before the break, with Charlie Marshall and Rinor Ejupi finding the target.

While Arley Barnes late header provided some hope, Silsden were unable to find a leveller in the dying moments and the Miners came away with the three points, moving up to third in the table as a result.

Garforth came out of the blocks quickly and had a great opportunity just four minutes into the game.

After catching Silsden on the break, Matt Antcliff found himself with acres of space inside the box, but his low strike was brilliantly saved by the feet of home keeper Jacob Rabone.

The reprieve didn’t last long, as a long ball forward found Marshall running into the penalty area and he rifled home the opener with a powerful half-volley.

Rabone was again called into action moments later when Marshall raced through, the keeper having to get down well to make the save.

Opportunities were few and far between for Sils in the first half, but both Ellis Hudson and Kayle Price went close.

First, Hudson picked up the ball from a deep corner, controlled it and fired a shot in on goal, only to see his strike tipped over by Harry Flatters.

Price then did brilliantly well to control a long ball and drive into the box, but he curled his effort narrowly wide of the upright.

Instead, the Miners doubled their lead on 39 minutes, as full back Ejupi raced into the penalty area and slotted home with a composed finish.

After the interval, Garforth looked to extend their lead and they went close through Marshall once more.

The pacey striker broke beyond the Cobbydalers' back line before smashing his effort well over the top of Rabone’s crossbar.

While Silsden did begin to take control of possession, the Garforth defence kept opportunities to a minimum for the hosts.

That meant it took until the 87th minute for Sils to find a breakthrough.

Luke Brooksbank’s corner was met at the near post by Barnes, who nodded the ball expertly beyond Flatters to give the hosts a glimmer of hope.

Despite some sustained pressure, Silsden couldn’t find an equaliser and Garforth were able to hold out for a 2-1 win.

The result sees Sils remain eighth in the division but with a break from league action tonight.

They instead face their long awaited trip to Tadcaster Albion for an NCEL League Cup second round tie, which was originally scheduled for November and has been postponed due to bad weather on multiple occasions.