Keighley Albion’s Under-12s attended the prestigious Leeds Rhinos Challenge held at Butlins Skegness over the weekend.

The tournament is designed to bring some all amateur rugby league teams from across the country to compete against each other.,

Albion 12s took a 15 strong squad to the event travelling over to Skegness on the Friday, with the games played over Saturday and Sunday.

Albion were drawn in a very tough group with Golborne Parkside, Mirfield and Saddleworth Rangers.

The first group game kicked off on the Saturday morning against St Helens based side Golborne.

Albion were full of nerves and saw team captain Eli Condren suffer an injury that affected his tournament, but tries from Sidney Richardson and George Patterson, the latter with the last play of the game, secured a draw, with both teams taking a valuable point apiece.

Game two saw Albion take on one of their league one rivals Mirfield.

The game started at a ferocious pace with Albion on top, Riley Bogle breaking the deadlock before Tobias Finn grabbed two quick fire tries.

Mirfield started to play and got back to 12-8 to behind before Patterson powered over late on to seal victory.

Game three and final game of the group stage was a fiery affair against Saddleworth Rangers with both defences starting strongly.

But Albion eventually came out on top, a Henry Dibbin double sandwiching tries from Richardson and Bogle in a 16-4 win.

That concluded day one of the tournament with Albion topping the group stage and going into day two of the competition in the play-off for the main cup.

The first game of the day was a local derby against Birkenshaw in the afternoon sunshine.

Albion were determined to progress and it quickly showed in a one sided affair that saw Zack Coppen and Richardson cross for early tries.

Dibbin, Bogle, Finn and Otis Waite all crossed the whitewash too in a dominant performance that saw Albion win 24-0.

Keighley were now two games away from being crowned champions but their next opponent was a tough one in Halifax-based King Cross Park, who are a big physical team in the same league as them.

Yet in-form Albion won convincingly, flying winger Thomas Jebb crossing the try line to open the scoring before fellow wide man Coppen grabbed a quickfire brace.

King Cross hit back to score before Richardson went over for two tries of his own.

Finn completed the scoring, finishing off a lovely Albion move to help his side win 24-4.

The final game of the whole weekend was against Hull-based Myton Warriors and though Richardson opened the scoring, Albion’s opponents soon hit back to level.

Dibbin stormed over to put Albion ahead for a second time, and when Charlie Rollason dasrted over, the game was virtually over.

A second try from Dibbin put the result beyond doubt before the injury-hit Condren entered the pitch and finished off the weekend fittingly with a lovely solo effort, diving over the line and sealing the title for his side.

Albion have high hopes for this crop of youngsters going forward again, as they now return to league action, before a Challenge Cup semi-final tie at Upton next month.